Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DIY 4th of July shirts

The kids and I made some festive 4th of July shirts yesterday. I must say I think they are super cute and they were fairly easy to make.  Messy, but easy.  :) 
First things first we headed to Wal-Mart where you can get EVERYTHING to pick up our supplies. We grabbed Amelia a white t-shirt, went to grab Asher one as well, and guess what, no shirt in little man's size, however I remembered he had one at home that I had bought as an undershirt so no worries there.  Next we went to find our paint.  I bought actual fabric paint.  The instructions say to paint, allow to dry and wash 48 hours later, so this is what I'll do.  Next we were on the hunt for something star shaped, we found the perfect size star shaped form pieces, I wasn't concerned with the color because I knew we were going to be painting over them.
Back at home I lined the shirts with newspaper to prevent bleeding through and went to work with some painters tape that I already had and the form sticker stars I purchased.  This was the finished product after I taped them.
Next I got the kids ready, but ready I mean I took their shirts off and handed them paint brushes. :)
I explained to Amelia to paint the white lines with the red paint.  With Asher I just put the plate that had the red paint on it over the top of the stars where we wanted to paint blue.  They had fun and did really well.  I didn't get any 'in process' pictures because I was trying to mange two kids and paint. Also a friendly tip fabric paint does not come off the skin so easy.  Amelia ended up getting it on her belly from leaning on the table to paint the top of the shirt.  I had to scrub her with a wash cloth at bath time.  :) Here are pictures of the shirts post-painting and pre-untaping. 

Amelia's
Asher's
And finally after I removed the tape.  I love them.  I'll post pictures of the kids wearing them soon!  Have a great day.

Vacation re-cap is coming as well, but I forgot my camera card today, bummer I know.



1 comment:

Lauren said...

These are seriously so ridiculously cute! I think I could definitely do this with Elyse next year!