Thursday, January 31, 2013

Amelia's First Dentist Appointment


Amelia had her first dentist appointment yesterday.  I was so proud of her and how well she did.  I know adults that don't do as well as she did when they go to the dentist.  She got her teeth cleaned and flossed and a checkup from the dentist, oh and let's not forget she got to pick something out of the treasure box.  :)  As we were leaving she said to me, "I had fun at the dentist!" 
Although the dentist did suggest we get her in for a frenectomy.  This is a simple 5 minute procedure done in the office where they, to put it bluntly, trim the muscle that connects the top lip to the gum.  It can require up to three stitches, but we won't know for sure until the Dr. starts the procedure.  Amelia's muscle is rather large and completely attached, which can cause a gap between her front teeth (which she has).  So, I'm not to excited about that, and I'm not sure if Amelia will like the dentist so much after that procedure, but as for now she likes the dentist, even though he suggested we try and encourage her to stop sucking her thumb as well.  Any stop thumb sucking tips?  I'm all about positive reinforcement and I don't want this to be me taking something way from her.  It's going to be a tough few weeks for my baby girl, keep us and her in your prayers. 
 


Can you just see the nervousness?








Bubble gum flavored toothpaste.










The light was bright in her eyes so she got sunglasses.




2 comments:

Lauren said...

She's SOOO precious! But boo that she has to have that little procedure...I hope it doesn't scar her for life!

Unknown said...

She looks very calm despite her nervousness and she looks very behaved too! Dentists can be scary but we just have to be there for our kid or someone close to us (although it is embarrassing being an adult and still be scared about the dentist) and everything will go smoothly. Don't worry everything will be okay with the procedure and I don't it'll scar her.

Jerri Franceschi